WHY HIRE A MASTER OF BIOMEDICAL DISCOVERY & COMMERCIALIZATION INTERN?
HIGH ACHIEVING STUDENTS WITH WORK INTEGRATED EXPERIENCES
- Students are rigorously selected with an incoming “A” cohort grade average
- Extensive independent research and business consultation experience in a health sciences start-up company
- Innovative curriculum integrating business presentations and case studies
FLEXIBLE HIRING OPTIONS
- Both 4 and 8-month internship terms
are available, with the potential for longer durations
- Program support is available every step of the way, from the initial job posting to making offers
- $3000 in tax credits may be available as well as other funding opportunities
WHAT QUALIFICATIONS DO MBDC STUDENT HAVE?
- Inquiry-based research skills including an 8-month independent thesis
- Courses in:
- Drug Discovery and Development
- Research Methods
- Biomedical Commercialization, from Pre-clinical Trials to Marketing and Sales
- Organic Chemistry
- Applied projects focusing on the commercialization of research from academic labs
- 4-months of applied start-up experience consulting a health sciences company
- MBA courses in:
- Strategic Management of Technology, Pharma/Biotech Issues, or Health Economics and Evaluation
- Commerce courses in:
- Organizational Behavior
WHAT ROLES ARE MBDC STUDENT PREPARED FOR?
WHAT IS THE COST OF HIRING AN MBDC STUDENT?
The average internship salary is $22/hour | Compensation ranging from $14 – $25/hour
Funding opportunities may be available to offset this cost including:
- The Co-operative Education Tax Credit | A maximum credit of $3000/student
- The Student Work-Integrated Learning Program | MITACS | The Health to Business Bridge Program
WHAT TIMELINES SHOULD I BE AWARE OF?
- August Job Postings Begin
- October Interviews Begin (onsite or at McMaster)
- January Student Placements Begin (4 or 8+ terms)
- May Student Placements Begin (4+ term)
- September Graduates Available for New Opportunities
HOW DO I HIRE AN MBDC STUDENT?
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your job posting
- The BDC program will send you an application bundle of qualiﬁed students in 1 week
- Contact candidates and conduct interview either
at your location or on-site at McMaster
- Make an offer to your selected students
Administrative support is available at each step