Jakob Magolan, PhD
- Pre-Clinical Drug Discovery and Development
- Organic Synthetic Methods
In collaboration with biologists and biochemists, we pursue the discovery and pre-clinical development of pharmaceutical leads in a variety of therapeutic areas including: antimicrobial, anti-pancreatic cancer, and anti-depression. We specialize in the chemical synthesis of lead compounds and their structural derivatives with a particular interest in natural product-based leads.
Our laboratory is also engaged in the development new strategies and methodologies for the efficient chemical synthesis. Our current areas of focus include:
1) new synthetic approaches to rare or unknown heterocyclic scaffolds;
2) expanding the versatility of simple inexpensive substrates like dimethylsulfoxide (DMSO) as synthetic building blocks; and
3) use of heterogeneous reagents to enhance procedural efficiency and minimize the environmental impact of organic synthesis.